To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Friday, May 22, 2009

Why weird is good

Last year I heard a talk by a former marketing manager of Toyota cars (Australia). He was a really interesting guy. His talk was an interesting take on standing out in a me-too market. His advice was to be weird. Don't be normal.
No problem for me.
But his advice went to the core of adaptability in a changing market. It also captures the idea of passion for what you do, that perhaps not everyone gets it but sometimes that's okay.

This week is the PBS Radiothon (last week was the 3MBS one) and I will be pledging my support as I did last year. I regularly write about the appalling state of mainstream media in this country, so where does one turn to to hear good music? Why to community radio my friend. And I should say that there are grades of quality in Community Radio. PBS is one of best ones in the country (with a current fetish for funk and soul in all its varieties).

So last night I was driving home and I caught the tail end of the country and western show. I'll be honest country and western for me is more miss than hit, but I will listen to it because every now and again you find a jewel Well in this case an Eilen Jewel [MySpace page HERE] the DJ played a couple of fantastic moody country tracks and finished with 'Rain Roll In'. Thankfully I had a pen in the car and wrote it down.

I consider myself to have a good ear for music and Eilen Jewel is good music. I invite you to check out her songs on MySpace, I'll be buying the album this weekend (I have no respect for people who do steal music) and I recommend you do the same.

Going back to my earlier point, without PBS I would never have heard Eilen Jewel, I would never have been exposed to some music I like. This service, this revelation of grooves was given to me by someone who gets on the radio because they love their music. Because they are passionate about their music. Probably because they are weird.

I also encourage you to support your local community radio station. Link to the PBS Radiothon [Here].

No comments: