To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Friday, May 29, 2009

Bank error in your favour, collect $10 Mil

The report of a couple from NZ whose bank accidentally credited $10 million into their account has got me thinking. Firstly, that banks are bastards (but that can honestly go without saying). Secondly, how would I handle that temptation?

Perhaps one could use the money to secure another loan of an even greater value (I understand that's how the current mess got started in the states). Or I could take the money and run (but you can hide forever). Or I could alert the bank and give the money back.

In my opinion its a case of giving the money back. But the bank is doing nothing in my opinion by sounding tough and warning of penalties and trouble. Like some ineffectual school prefect that no one respects. Banks have jerked me around often enough and I have rarely had an apology from them.

Perhaps this is an opportunity not only for people to understand that bank errors are rarely in their favour, but also for the banks to show some charm in dealing with this kind of thing...

No comments: