To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Monday, June 09, 2008

A year in the Life

Movie Review; 'Sex and the City'

(featuring special guest star Heather Locklear)

I wish... (come back season 7 all is forgiven) Well this is one franchise that Aaron Spelling couldn't own nor insert his hideously deformed daughter into, you know the one with the deep down awfulness, the kind the doctors just can't get rid of.
Which of course begs the question why there wasn't a Melrose Place movie...

But there is a 'Sex and the City' movie and I think it only fair to insist that any assessment of the merits of the film must incorporate the TV series. Which in turn begs the question why an actual movie and not a telemovie? I don't know the answer, but its here now and we should deal with it.
Heralded as the ultimate chick flick it follows the lives of the 4 main characters, 5 years after the end of the TV series, across 12 months in New York. Truly a year in life movie, which would only work with strong characters. Thankfully a 10 year run on TV has helped to cement the ensemble cast.

So from a guys perspective what is there to like? There are no car chases, no ninjas, explosions, jet planes with rocking soundtracks or Samuel L Jackson. On paper then, this movie is behind the 8 ball (no pool halls either)(plenty of fashionable restaurants and gay chaps though).
But here is what it has a the plus side, really great characters. I like a good movie with strong character development. In this film we don't necessarily see character development per see, but we do see 4 people who the audience have gotten to know very well. I myself have only begun to watch the TV series (who knew?) and already I want to kick Big's arse for his gutless behaviour.
Giving all us handsome dudes everywhere a bad wrap... for shame!

In summary I did enjoy this film, it ended on a note of hope and harmony. I think the journey there was a mixture of strong story lines and perhaps some weaker ones. But you know what, thats okay.

I give Sex and the City 4 ninja stars; ****

ps Went to an early session with my beloved, when we got out of the theatre I was the only guy for about 30 metres past the queue waiting to get in!!!

No comments: