To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Conversation

Have a look at this LINK
Its an essay on the art of conversation with regards to middle aged men and women. For the most part to me it seems to fall on the side of women interesting, men boring. It does sight an example of the stimulating conversation one could expect - TOPIC: Lipstick, ref Colour.
You have to be kidding me...

In my opinion the art of conversation is the art of exploring the common interests or unique passions of another person. I love to hear about something that something, that one passion that fires someone up (exception, AFL). To me I am fascinated by getting a glimpse of what makes someone tick. You get to see a part of their inner self.
But to me conversation is also and act of harmony, there are people with which you'll just hit it off, there are people you need to work with and then there are those rare individuals for whom you have nothing in common.
its all about the variety of life and society. I for example can't stand that mock sport AFL. It does nothing for me. But to talk with someone who has a passion for it, well its courteous to listen - you might learn something for the trivia file (probably not, but ...). The trade off, again in my opinion, is that person gets to hear about my thoughts etc. Sometimes this digresses into a dick measuring contest, but usually it can be a great way to try another topic or direction.

I guess what bugs me the most about the perspective of the essay is the decision that somehow a conversation with a women is more stimulating than a conversation with a man. to my mind given the situations described in the essay it would be hard for guys to get a decent conversation. All the situations described are women meeting other women with men in tow. Its not for the benefit of the guy, he's been brought along on a 'play date' with other men.
Ofcourse he shuts up, given the choice between spending free time with your mates or going on a socially orchestrated play date, which would anybody choose?

Perhaps I'm being too cranky. But as someone who gets paid to meet strangers and establish relationships, conversation is an art. An art as important as courtesy and good manners.

Have a read of the essay and decide for yourself.

1 comment:

Vegy said...

Gosh Bubba, I did not even bother to read the whole essay. What a bunch of drivel!
Could it be that all those men are too scared to show too much interest in another woman's conversation? maybe they know what will happen if they do?
Who knows? who cares?
I know just as many woman who are bores, who talk at you or use the one upmanship routine on you.
I'm with you on conversation being an art especially when in a group conversation and one has to be careful to take turns to listen and chip in and steer clear of saying anything too opinionated unless you know who you are sitting next to. One example of Mr Seraph doing this was saying " I can't stand vegetarians they are insufferable bores! while sitting next to a couple of vegos. OOPS...