To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Driving

I tell you whut, there is nothing I like better than a long drive. Road trips are a real turn on for me. Packing the car, forgetting stuff, hot jams on the stereo, booking last minute accomodation - to me its all good.
And it helps that I live on one of the most sparsely populated continents in the world (Antarctica being the other).

For me its the thrill of the open road, its watching the country zoom by and most of all its doing it while other people are at work. Perhaps its a Gemini thing but give me a full tank of petrol and point in a compass direction and I am as happy as a pig in mud.
Take yesterday, drove to and from Sydney, now for me thats a 6 or 7 hour round trip (allowing for traffic at either end) and I know that road extremely well. In my mind I can replay each kilometer quite clearly. The changes in the light during the different times of the day and the different seasons. I know almost all of the little towns along the way. They each have their own character and charm, I love the little village atmospheres.
What I also enjoy is cruising through the radio channels for local stations. In one section (about 50 kms south of Mittagong up to about 20kms north of Bowral) is a community radio station with focus solely on Country music in 'all its genres'. Here was I thinking there are only 2.

The longest continual drive I've managed (to date) is 800kms in one day is the Barossa Valley SA to Canberra, 18 hours. I've driven all over the East Coast of Australia, from Melbourne to Cairns and I love it. I'd do it again and more if I had the time. Pack a tent, sleeping bag, some food and the fishing rods.

No comments: