To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I would walk a thousand steps...

There are a lot of things to be grateful for in ones life. Not the least of which is the opportunities I have to visit Melbourne on a regular basis.
Yesterday I had the challenge put up to me to tackle the fearsome 1000 Steps of the Dandenongs. Evie has spoken of this walk a number of times and it has always been a special place for her, so I of course took the challenge.
Firstly, I know that the people of Australia (this great wide brown land) have very few of what could charitably be called mountains. I my self grew up surrounded by mountains and the sea, they form a strong part of my early childhood memories. So I was a little trepidatious about trekking up a 100 steps in jeans, let alone a 1000.
The park is just outside Melbourne in a lovelly area just below the Dandenongs themselves. Very similar to the Blue Mountains, but a with a charming quality all their own. We set off about 10am up a beautiful walk between great gum trees and punga ferns (the 1000 steps kick off about half a klick from the carpark).
At the foot of the steps was a rest area, what I noticed immediately that deposited discreetly alongside the tracks were many full water bottles, waiting to refresh travellers who had gone up before us. What was I letting my self in for??

The path was also dedicated to the Kokoda trail and there were many sobering monuments to reflect upon on the walk up. The steps themselves were rock and concrete and we were warned of their potential slipperiness. The gully was closed over by old forest growth which had the effect of regulating the temperature and releaving me of the need to wear my hat. But there was no time for doubts about the ascent so off we went!

It was a very pleasant climb, and I confess I was just a little disappointed to learn there weren't actually a 1000 steps. Evie tells me that in the past erosion and track maintenance have shaved about a dozen steps off. Thankfully as you trekked uphill a thoughtful soul had marked a tally count of the steps every couple of meters.
It was I must say though a delightful walk made all the better for the company I was in and sentiment of the journey.

Afterward we had lunch I had the pleasure of combining two desserts, Devonshire Pancakes.
Worth the walk just for the pancakes!

No comments: