To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Flaming Passion

So today the Olympic torch is due to make its circuit around the capital. I'm planning to head over to watch the relay in about a couple of hours.
the last time I saw the flame in Canberra was for the Sydney olympics and I can tell you it is a very special sight. I had the great pleasure of watching the torch pass by my work. We all made an effort for the day (how many times in your life can you say you've seen the Olympic flame?) in the best of Aussie traditions, barbie and a couple of snag sangas with a beer or two.
I was cynical, I admit it. In my opinion the whole olympic movement was a facile joke. And then the torch came past, it was carried by a volunteer, a nobody. A person whose only claim to carrying the torch was that he asked for the privilege. He looked proud and why shouldn't he I thought. This is his moment, it isn't about anything else except an ordinary person been given the chance to have a go. Very Aussie.

Later that night I was in the pub after rock climbing and I saw one of the torch bearers in his kit. He was a special needs kiddie and he was enjoying a beer. Beside him was his torch baton. I wandered over, as you do, asked if I could shake his hand and tell this young chap I was impressed he had carried the olympic flame. The young chap, to his credit finished his beer first, shook my hand and his friend asked me if I'd like to hold the baton.
Did I what!!

In a few minutes we were all doing laps of the pub and cheering each other on. It was all a bit of fun, but also a bit of pride as well. We all got to hold the torch, nobody tired to ruin the moment for us. It wasn't about anything except the feeling of mateship and friendliness.
Fingers crossed all the runners gearing up for todays relay will have the chance to experience what I did in my own small way.

1 comment:

Seraph said...

That's a great story man !