To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Saturday, April 28, 2007

A wet Saturday

A wet Saturday, its like I deserve a do over. Though I shouldn't complain, we did have Wednesday off.
It was ANZAC day once again and once again I am amazed at the indifference of Australians to the NZ part. ANZAC to them just means Australian Army Corp. There is ZERO recognition of New Zealand, its all become proprietary.
And don't get me started on John Howard defining the term as more or less anyone who votes Liberal or watches channel 9. Check out the Wikipedia listings, see just how minimal the recognition is...

What frustrates me the most is trying to explain to Aussies that New Zealand has a very different view of the ANZAC spirit and Gallipoli. Its viewed by Kiwi's as a moment of nationhood, in much the same way as modern Turkey does. Not so the Australians.

Its the one and only time of the year that this country just pisses me off.

No comments: