To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Soulsville USA

'You'll never get what you want if you don't ask for it.'

I had the chance to see a free concert on Sunday. Deano rang me and told me about the Stax Music Academy (part of the Soulsville Foundation). A wonderful bunch of kids who are mentored by the venerable Stax Records people. The sound at the concert wasn't the best it could be, but the energy of the kids was fantastic!!

So the concert finishes and Deano and I are heading out to the car park. And I get this thought, why don't I go back stage and ask for an interview? Its one of thoughts that come with a 'you'll regret it if you don't' feeling.
So I went backstage, introduced myself to the CEO of the academy and got an interview!!

I'll post some of the interview in a later blog, but let me say it was a wonderful experience to talk with the CEO and some of the kids. I even got a free t-shirt for my efforts!!
But it reminded me that its not possible to get what you want out of life if you don't ask for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it was not made clear to you in the interview with our CEO, let me clear something up for you so you can post the accurate information on your site. The Stax Music Academy (whose kids you saw perform) is part of the Soulsville Foundation - not the "Stax Records people". We are not affiliated with the Stax Record label (which is now owned by Concord Records), other than promoting the history & legacy of the soul music artists who recorded on that label through the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, which is also part of the Soulsville Foundation.
We appreciate your comments and support of the Academy and our mission to mentor youth through music, but would like to make sure that we are accurately identified and credited for our programs. Thank you!

BubbaJay said...

Hi,
Thank you so much for the clarification, it is very much appreciated.
Hope the kids are enjoying their time in Australia, it was a real honour to have met with you all.

Anonymous said...

Anon sounds like a rather ungracious pedendant.

Seraph said...

Bubba - you the man !