To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Props from radio land

Did the drive show yesterday, theres always a lot going on during this slot. 2 competitions, lots of phoning in etc etc.
There are things I like about the show and things that bug me, but I won't get distracted just yet.
The purpose of the Drive show is to guide people into the weekend, so as I do with my Friday World Vibe show my aim is to uplift spirits. To do this I aim for 'happy' or lighter pieces for the audience. As a rule I don't play a lot of 'classical' tracks, there's is enough of that genre on the airwaves (dedicated Classic FM on the ABC franchise, for example). Though some Rossini et al does make it through on occasion.

I focus on jazz (by which I mean good jazz), folk (ibid) funk, soul and a heavy serve of World Music. The result, well yesterday I got phone calls from first time listeners saying they loved the music and would become members of the station because of what they heard!!!
Thats why I love doing what I do and thats why stations that have the tag 'greater variety' really bug me for the lying snow job artists they are.

No comments: