To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

An interesting Interview

Found this short interview with Chuck Palahnuik (link).
What I found interesting (and why I am sharing it) is the description of the creative process. Chuck works with a writers group, reads aloud his works in progress and claims to spend time in hospital waiting rooms to work.

I would have to say a hospital waiting room does not leap out at me as the most obvious choice for inspiration. But I do agree that certain locations are more conducive to the writing process. For me, its airports. Doesn't seem to matter which airport, but I always make a point of traveling with a note pad, scribbling down thoughts and ideas. Perhaps it the because my phone is off and traveling for me (I'm usually on business and going solo) is a shuttle between office, hotel and airport. Usually the airport departure lounge is my only space where I'm not distracted, I don't have to be anywhere else and for a few minutes I'm 'off the grid' as the saying goes.
I can collect my thoughts and ideas.

So my question for the Bubba's out there, literary or otherwise, do you have a creative zone? Is a mind state or building or a time of year?

No comments: