To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I wish I were in Dixie...

Hurrah! Hurrah!
This week I'm over in the East Coast for a change. Baltimore, Maryland to be precise. Which is as fine a place as anyone should be. Tomorrow its up stakes and over to Norfolk Virginia for a few days then back to Maryland before shipping out via Washington for San Diego.

Main things I have noticed - fewer Mexicans than in San Diego, as much congestion on the roads, food is better overall, Americans as a rule are still the politest people I know of, the weather is very similar to NZ (West Coast is more similar to Aus).

Yesterday I got the chance to visit Annapolis and the Naval acadamy. I confess a strong interest in Early American History right up to the Civil War, so it was a real treat to visit the state house of Annapolis. Famous for the following, was the Contenintal Capital for short time, was where congress ratified the Treaty of Paris (ending the revolution and giving British recognition to the new Nation) and interestingly where General Washington resigned his commission after the ceasation of hostilities.
Much has been written of the qualities of General Washington, but I never knew this of him. Quite a selfless act all things considered.

No comments: