To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pillow qUEST

I had this great pillow see (have just started reading 'The Lady in the Lake') it was a perfect balance of soft with just enough form to hold my head in place. Delightful is the only word to describe it.

One problem though - it smelt. Stank is the way Evie described it. I went down the path of denial for a while. How can you say that, it just needs and airing, I really like this pillow, it's the only one you haven't stolen from me etc But the truth of the matter was, it did smell.

It seems that the filling was a synthetic kind of material, but one that absorbs human sweat. By way of background being bald means my head gets cold during the chilly winter evenings, I usually combat this by draping a t-shirt over my head. Seems that we had some warmer than usual nights and I found myself waking up bathed in sweat. The comfy-comfy pillow soaked it up. You know I defended that pillow but when I read that last sentence I understand the position of my loved ones. (the pillow was not even allowed to be on the bed during the day.)

Well things came to a head (chortle) a couple of weeks ago, even I could smell the pillow and our daughter was playing on our bed. I struck a deal that any pillow I got was mine and would not be appropriated. With both parties in agreement my daughter and I headed off to our local Spotlight.

There are pillows and then there are pillows. Most are too hard and shapeless or perhaps more accurately unable to be shaped. Most of the hotel pillows I have ever used fall into this category (true story, when traveling for work, if I was going to be in a place for more than a week I would pack one of my pillows for the trip). But this variety means that people have a wide variety of preferences.

I settled on a duck feather pillow that combines softness and shape. I have slept like a log that is very tired every night since. Mission accomplished.

No comments: