To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Time and Music

for a moment on the 'Internets' there was a rehashing of an old question (What would you do if an alien landed and invited you into their flying saucer for a faster than light ride?) this one involving time travel back to the 11th century in Europe.

Most of the answers that I saw were from nerds in America (ps link to an article as to why Wikipedia is terrible HERE) who claimed their superior knowledge of chemistry/biology/math/economics/engineering would ensure they lived a rich and prosperous life.
My problem with such claims of genius are;
1) You could get burnt at the stake for just about anything in those days
2) Nobody likes a smart arse (see 1.)

But would you want to go back a 1,000 years anyway? Life was awful, brutish and short. I'm reading Xenophons account of the 10,000 crossing Persia, guys who a 30 years old are regarded as almost cripples because of their age. I doubt things had improved by the year 1000.

If it were up to me and I could take a trip for one evening back in time, I think I'd like to sit in on the recording of Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue'. As opposed to sitting in a hovel, planning my Gatsby like rise to money and influence. All the while praying someone invents toilet paper soon.

No comments: