To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Gig Review



Last night I saw a piece of Funk and Soul history. I saw Mr Syl Jhonson ('Take me to the river', 'Is it because I'm black') and a backing band of funk soul power, The Bamboos.
Now I do have a problem with fools who take the name of Funk in vain ('its a funky little car', 'this is a funky workplace', 'Fat Boy Slim is fantastic').

Funk is not just music it's a feeling, an attitude, a sight and an energy.

Syl was the real deal and The Bamboos were good enough to beat the Dap Kings in a straight funk shoot out. What I enjoyed most about this gig was the energy that the room and the band and especially Syl generated. I mounted and grew so that by the end of the show I just wanted it to go on and on. The Bamboos drummer was the key to the energy, that little guy just looked liked he was having the best night of his life!

I've seen some okay funk and I've seen some average funk. Part of the problem for this genre is the sound of a live performance. It has to be both loud, powerful and at the same time subtle. The Bamboos incorporate a horn section and from the get go those guys had a crisp, clear and tuned sound. That is very hard for horns to be able to do, unless the player has prepared but also knows his instrument and what it can and can't do. The bassist, was good, he knew his job and drove the line, working with the drummer while the guitarist and keyboard hit the spotlights. They were a tight team, capable of true original innovation in leads and improvisation. Something that is again very difficult to do well, unless you know your instrument.

Syl himself looked and sounded very excited to be in town. I confess to not knowing too much about him prior to the gig, but hopes were raised when he came out with a Gibson ES-335 (and identified it as such). When he did play on it he showed his blues roots and carved out two great solo's on the Magic Sam standards, 'Sweet Home Chicago' and 'All your Love' (both of which I am told scored kicks of maniac approval from my child).

All in all it was a worthwhile and funky investment in the tickets and a good thing too, we found out that by the end of the night there were at least 200 people who could not join in the music.
So Bubbas, keep your ears and eyes out for The Bamboos in the future...

No comments: