To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Monday, July 30, 2007

Late Night Boogie

So I'm here at the radio station doing the late show (8pm - 10pm). This might not seem late to some, but it is late to me. And I'm reflecting on the possibility that no one is listening...
But its always on occasions like these that you mess up and some 'offended' dude rings in the next day.

So let me tell you about the context of this show - its genre's are Jazz, Blues, Soul, Funk, Groove.
It is a pleasure to be able to play music from these classificatios and I always love to push the envelope!!
So far tonite I've spun; Money Mark, Mississippi John Hurt, Jeff Buckley, Sam and Dave, Brassey, Morphene and more. I've got this regular listener, he's another Kiwi from the Canberra area, who always rings to say hi and wish me a good show (so I guess thats at least one!).

As for pushing the envelope, I like to lead people up the garden path - Massive Attack leads to Jeff Buckley leads to Joy Division leads to The Cruel Sea.
As you can see (or hear) The Cruel Sea is more of your rock based blues than blues itself. I would argue that its being played in context of the other tracks - a theme has developed and needs to be explored.
Perhaps I'll finish on 'Hot for Teacher' , but only if its in context :)

1 comment:

Jack Dee said...

I vote for George Clinton & Parliament