To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

You know its Winter when...

Boy Howdy Folks, I tell you whut...
Today was one freeze ass ice bound day. But I know what your thinking;
"Dude, Australia is one huge monkey loving desert. It ain't never cold there brother."

Well you're right there for the most part. I live in the one area of Australia that does get frost, that being the Snowy Mountains. And let me tell you - it gets cold.
Now having grown up in Lower Hutt and cold and damp valley in of itself, I believe I have a point of comparison. The main difference is the dryness, if that makes sense. Canberra is higher up than most of Australia, probably more like a pampas with very low humidity.
We actually get some fierce frosts during Winter, even snow occasionally.

So this morning I had to de-ice the truck and drive it into our mechanics to get (of all things) a heater installed. Here's what I learnt, after using water to melt the ice of your windscreen - dry the water or it remelts when your driving through fog at 80kms.

Thank goodness I remembered my gloves.

No comments: