To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Miami Vice - So Many Unanswered Questions

Over the weekend I had a busy time of it, Saturday was soccer (played for the Reds, we won 4-0), taking cat piss stained carpet to the tip, fishing - didn't catch anything but did see a guy land a carp on a fly rod!! and then off to my mate Ash's birthday party (sitting around drinking and singing SingStar Anthems - not as good as the others I feel, I'm sure they could have picked more than 20 songs, unless they had a tight deadline... who can say?)

On Monday night I helped Ando pick up a quater ton of wood that that the council had chopped down (bush fire prevention work). I then went off to see Miami Vice with Ash!

I already had low expectations since I found out it wasn't going to be a comedy a la Starsky and Hutch style (a pity). But thought what the hey!
First impressions - I do like Michael Mann's directing style and I did appreciate the 'realism' of bullet wounds and what a 16 wheeler will do to you at 90 mph. Did like the global nature of the crime organisation (hinted at but never revealed the connection with the Chinese, gun running and mercenaries etc)
Second impressions - these are the things that bug you after a day or two; did not like either lead, none of the principals sounded convincing sprinkling their 'cop talk' with phrases like CONOPS, TACOPS, Counter-Intel, Go-Fast Boats etc They said those words but I'm not sure they really understood what they meant.
Also the big shoot out at the end in which they kill everybody who could help them with prosecuting 'Mr Big' and then let go a principle witness... WTF!!!
CONOPS will be pissed

Yeah gotta say I wasn't too impressed overall. Did like the Phil Collins cover at the end of the movie - nice reference to original series.

No comments: