To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rock and Roll will save your Soul

I love music. It is an essential part of my day to hear it and enjoy it.

Well last night I was given the chance to play as part of a Friday night jam group at my buddy Steve's house. It was simply put, a blast. Steve is a passionate muso with a truly fantastic collection of guitars, amps, a drum kit and other little instruments. I've been looking forward to this evening all week, Steve and I had a jam a couple of weeks ago and I was really excited but how well we seemed to gel. Steve and I both like a similar kind of music and seem to have an ear for similar rhythms and tones. So getting together with a drummer and another guitarist was an interesting prospect.

Well everybody had a good time and thankfully there weren't any showboaters, we were all able to share and let the music play. Steve let me borrow an amazing semi-acoustic that had a beautiful deep sound and resonance. A real Dwayne Eddie style, I told Steve on several occasions that I may need marry this instrument!! :)
It worked out well as we didn't have a bass player I was able to keep the rhythm and bass notes strong (which suited the guitar down to the ground). I also tried a Telecaster special (that had an amazing custon humbucker in place of the bridge pick up) and an Epiphone ES-355 that had a fantastic jazz pitch to it.
What I know about guitars is that no two are the same and that there is a world of difference between a good guitar and a cheap one. But more importantly it was a great experience to be rocking out with a bunch of guys, have a good time and being able to keep up!!

I'm on a double high this week after meeting P.J. O'Rourke and having an awsome jam with a great bunch of guys. Tonite is the Hurricanes versus the Brumbies and another mates house!! Oh happy days!!!!!

No comments: