To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A nice restaurant

There comes a point in any experience when you become detached from the emotional investment.
Perhaps not a state of grace, perhaps more a stoic level of awareness (I did not want to use the word Zen as it seems regretfully to be locked up with desperately earnest young men or old smart arses)(Myself, I was young and foolish then, I'm old and foolish now).

So, I'm taking this in the direction of why I don't own a tv, seem quite relaxed about my life, enjoy bike riding and terrified of my boss.
Its an odd frame of mind.

I don't own a tv, haven't had one for 6 months and I don't miss it at all. I will watch DVD's on my laptop though, but I mostly (on the odd occasions I am home) listen to music and read a book. TV is a total thief of time, in my humble opinion, it would steal time I just do have to spare. Frank lloyd Wright called it 'an ugly peice of furniture' and I'm inclined to agree.

Why am I relaxed about my life? Should I be? Hell I don't know, I'm single enjoying not being with anyone but not plussed that there are no 'irons in the fire'. I have a well paying undemanding job (in comparison with my last one). I live in a nice place, friends are nearby, good food, good company. I'm healthy in mind, body and spirit - as far as I can tell.

Love bike riding! Especially going off road. Probably because my fitness level is up and I can handle most of the tracks around Canberra. Going down Mt Stromlo was absolutely terrifying, but I'm glad I can look at that hill I know that I did it (going back up next Sunday). I really enjoy having some mates who all love bike riding too, its great to be part of the Canberra Sunday Bike Hash (every second Sunday). But its that wonderful wind rushing past you feeling as you coast down hill I think that does it for me.

I am terrified of my boss, probably because we have a lot in common and I'm kind of in awe of him. But also because he reminds me of why I don't want to work in Sydney. In a weird kind of way I'm glad he is a hard arse about some things, every body likes to be motivated and terror seems to push me that extra yard. Probably because I'm bone lazy at heart and not good with managing my down time.

So anyway, I had lunch with a very dear friend yesterday, he's having work drama's as well. I mentioned the black dogs were bothering me and he said - 'lets go to India!'.
We should all be so lucky to have a friend like that, will book things next month and head off late May.

The restaurant was a Japanese joint (name escapes me) but very pretty, well laid out and the food was great. On the wall were some interesting pieces/reproductions of Japanese art, one of which was a calligraphic work of Zen mantras. The one thats stuck in my mind, 'harmony is all important'.
Or something like that.

No comments: