To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Magazine Reading

I've never been a magazine reader (with one exception), since my days in direct marketing it became dog bollocks obvious to me that the purpose of any magazine is to get you to buy the next months issue.
Usually at the cost of content, which meant more adds or self promotion about the particular 'x-factorness' of the current well hid corporate sponsors product.

Ahem... But there are a couple of magazines whose online issues I do read most every week
The Economist and The New Yorker.
I used to read The New York Review of Books, so I could A) Feel clever and B) enjoy well written articles by literate people (the letters page are usually an interesting read in themselves). Have stopped because A) I can never find a copy when I want one and B) while the quality is always excellent the topics of late have been sophomoric.
As I'm also a bloke I read the Fred Gassit comic in Australian Motorcycle News and get the occasional fishing mag as well. The fishing mags however have succumbed to the 'big fish' photo and occult like claims for how to catch fish (whenever I have followed their advice I've wasted a good trip to the water).

Anyway I told that story to tell you this one, have a read of this link on how to read The New Yorker (LINK) .
I suggest it works just as well for The Spectator et al.

No comments: