To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Eucambene River, Wind, Trout and Platypus

Dude!!!!!
Had my fly fishing field trip this weekend and didn't catch a damm thing. But as you should know, thats not the point of getting out there amongst some beautiful scenery. Its all about having fun.
And have fun I did!

The Eucambene River is now dammed to form the Eucambene lake, but the 'Big Dry' (now in its 7th year of drought) has evapourated a good 76% of the dam's capacity. So the head of the river is pretty much back to its original state, although with about 3 foot less water than I would have liked.
But it was chock full of trout and thats a fact.

I got down there about 8.30am on Saturday (The Eucambene is about 30 mins west of Cooma - so about south 2 hours odd from Canberra). And the class headed off from there, about 12 all up. The thing about fly fishing is the weight of the line is what allows you to cast not the fly, unlike lure casting.
And the thing about trout fishing is you have to cast up stream from behind the trout (Trout face the direction of the current - its where the food is coming from). So when the wind is blowing down stream and your trying to cast up stream... it ain't gonna happen baby!!

So Saturday was a wash as far productivity was concerned. But I did learn a lot and I got some practical feild experience and covered a fair bit of the river. So from a recon perspective, very successful indeed.

On Sunday, I got up super early and headed off just as the sun was rising to beat the wind. It was while I was checking out a pool ahead of me that I saw the platypus!!! He (I guess) was have a swim with some trout just minding his own business. I stood up to get a better look and he he turned to look at me... just drifted by with the slow current and checked me out.

Amazingly cool stuff.

So no fish, by I do have the lay of the land and will return the fabulos Eucambene very soon and hopefully catch a fish on my fly rod!!

No comments: