To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Bad Dog

So this morning at 5.30am I got up as usual and took our Wolfhound out for her morning walk. I take her out first as she needs a longer stroll than the other two (she's a big ole girl, clipping the scales at just under 50kg).
Well Bish and I headed out on our usual route, down the end of the street out over to the school field. We've being doing this for a couple of years now and have it down to a regular routine. Once we get to the school field, I let my girl off the lead for a couple of minutes so she can streach her legs.
But the proviso has been, she learns to come when I call her and we work on our command structure (ie I'm in charge and do what I say).

All had been going well until this morning. Bish was fooling around in a silly mood (not unusual) when her ears went up and I saw just on the ridge of the field 2 kangaroo's. Well I knew this meant trouble, I started to call her back and she took off like a rocket to chase the Roo's...

I ran like a bastard and got the top of the ridge in time to see Bish collapse in a heap after loosing her footing.
She got up and watched the roo's hopping away at a fast rate. She turned back and saw the mountain of fury that was holding her lead.
She lowered her head and put her tail down and trotted back like a true penitent to sit at my side.

We went home in disgrace with a kick to the bum.

We were very quiet on the short walk home.

I'd like to think she has learnt a lesson, but it'll be a while before I'll let her off the lead again.

No comments: