To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bike Paths in Melbourne

I've started to ride into work this week. Actually its part of a whole getting back on the fitness band wagon. Back in August I twisted my right knee while skiing and its kept me off the soccer field since then and off my bike for most of that time. So at long last I've joined a gym here in Melbourne (the local YMCA, there ARE lots of things for me to enjoy!! Swimming, Gyming. Actually thats probably about it...)
What I learned from the process of selecting a gym is to be discriminating. I checked out a few places, some where too small, some where just too expensive and not easy to get to and a small handful were just staffed by wankers. Getting fit has a lot to do with motivation and if you don't like the people at the gym thats less of a reason to go.
Well the guys and gals at my local YMCA are very friendly and the gym isn't too crowded when I go in the morning and I get access to the classes and the pool (for a very good price).
The big plus from all this great energy is the motivation to try riding into work. The distance is about 17kms each way and mostly flat (the odd hill). For the most part its off the main roads and through parks and nature reserves, which is a huge pleasure to ride. I'm glad to say that my fitness is picking back up and I can do the trip in about 50 minutes. My goal is to pair that back some and pick up my average speed.

But I must say the sight of some of the other cyclists does make me laugh. 40+ year old men with guts like a hippo, stuffed into Lance Armstrong professional cycling gear. Sad, funny, weird and wrong all at the same time. Which is some feat!!

No comments: