To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Healing

Well as I write this I'm going through one the longest and most drawn out resignations from a job I've ever had to do.
It looks like tomorrow will definitely be my last day. Its been a wasteful period of my life and very stressful. I am emotionally and physically exhausted and every minute just reminds me why I have to leave.

To resign I first have to announce my decision, then my direct report/boss and I have to agree on a last day, then I complete a handover, then leave.
I resigned formally last Wednesday and have not spoken to my boss since then. Despite numerous emails and phone messages, he has avoided me. So today I gave him an ultimatum announcing that tomorrow will be my last day, full stop. He responded with another turn of the screw and said as I am apparently obliged to provide 30 days notice, my annual leave will be used to fill the balance of the notice period.

This is the professional working relationship I have with my direct report. This is why my work life has been an utter misery for the last few months. This is why I'm leaving.

Years ago I used to work for someone who is almost a carbon copy of this guy. Had a vindictive power/control abusive streak. The only thing you can do is weather it out, assume a stoic zen like quality. This too will pass.

I don't want revenge or payback, I want to leave on good terms. This is testing my patience.

*****

But there is an upside and its a great upside. I have recently started going out with a wonderful lady friend. She is nurse, caring, beautiful, wise and sexy. She lives in Melbourne but is coming up to spend next week with me. Its the light at the end of the tunnel that will make all of this worthwhile.

No comments: