To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Idiotocracy

One of my pet hates in other people, and this is only something that I come across every now and again, is the realisation that I am actually smarter than that person. Do I sound arrogant by saying that? I hope not, I hope it is a brutal reality that we all should face. There is a bell curve to a persons ability to learn, we are familiar that there is a sliding scale as to how well one retains information.
Some people are just dumber than other people.

So when I say 'smarter' than someone I mean that in about every measure that its possible to take. It's difficult to hold a conversation with someone who takes time to catch up with ideas. When you have to slow down mentally to engage with that person. When it dawns upon you that you are in the slow lane of the intellectual highway behind a Nana in a busted arse of a car. When you have to use short words, avoid even mildly multi-stepped arguments to advise a person not to advertise their disbelief that the Holocaust ever occurred (based on the viewing of a Holocaust deniers DVD because presumably it is easier to watch 20 minutes of TV than to read any of this pfaff).

Another real life example would be hearing someone tell me that they bought all the Harry Potter movies on DVD because they don't like reading. Or to be held in awe because you know not only the name of the ship in 'Alien', but what book it was taken from, the name of the author and have read both the book in question and 'Heart of Darkness' (actually happened, person in question was complaining about the complexity of the questions on 'Who wants to be a millionaire'. Had I answered the above question I would have been on $200,000).

What is even worse than dealing with a dumb person, being held in awe as if I'd just invented fire, is coming across people who for some reason get resentful. As if its my fault that I can remember the basic periodic table because I listened to Tom Leher growing up and I like Gilbert and Sullivan melodies. If they get resentful because I'm smart I get resentful because they are not. Because it hurts my brain slowing down, because they are a conversational dead end, because it pisses me off to think that these people can breed, drive cars and worst of all that they can vote.

On Friday I was sent a link (in jest) that suggested a Big Mac contains all the necessary nutrients a growing child needs in meal. I have no comment other than to point you, gentle reader, to the following links
Here and Here.

1 comment:

BubbaJay said...

On reflection maybe I should qualify my position. A persons intelligence does not in any way define the sum total quality of the indiviual as a companion.
Being an idiot socially cannot be predicted by an IQ test. But letting your mouth write cheques you brain can't cash is something we are all guilty of now and again.

My complaint is with people for whom such behaviour is ingrained and over exposed.