To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Meetings, old people and rules

Last night was the AGM for the radio station I'm volunteering at. I had some time up my sleeve so I thought I'd drop by and see the differences between ArtSound and 3MBS. The biggest difference that I could tell was the docility of the 3MBS AGM. At ArtSound you get foolish ex (or soon to be retired)public servants with too much time on their hands thinking their Rumpole of the Bailey talking FOR EVER ABOUT NOTHING.
Its the principle reason why I did not get involved in the 'back office' part of ArtSound. I would never have been able to work with the people who were treating the station as an emotional investment, that no one would ever truly 'get' and therefore remain outside of the true spirit of the station...
(Sounds a little melodramatic I know, but pretty bloody accurate. I sat in a meeting to discuss the Radiothon earlier this year, over 40 minutes was taken up by one person heaving and emoting that they did all the work last year, no one helped them and all the new ideas a stupid because the committee (there is always a committee for anything in Canberra) reported on all the stupid ideas you are thinking about right now. I made it to two meetings, realised the barrier to success was personality, weighed up the amount of free time and care I had and never went back to another meeting.)(also worth noting that the committee was comprised of the same people year in year out representing a somewhat limited world view for entertaining new ideas.)
3MBS was different at least in that respect. It was quieter for a start, no body grandstanded (except one retired accountant desperately starved for attention) and for the most part the station president did a very good job of steering the meeting.

Interesting comparison between the caliber of volunteers and both stations.

No comments: