To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Exercise Surprise

Earlier this year I posted some thoughts about my world view of health and fitness.
As a quick summary I proposed;
  • Health is about what you eat, the quality of the fuel you put in the engine.
  • Fitness is about the kind of exercise you do, how efficiently your engine uses the fuel.
My suggestion was you can be fit but not healthy and vice versa. If you exercise but still eat stupid, its not going to do you any good. Neither is eating well but never giving your body a chance to use all its muscle groups.

Well I found an article on line that has an interesting view about exercise here. Have a read and let me know what you think?
For myself I suggest it raises a good point, people have different metabolisms that respond to different stimuli. I also suggest that people looking to change their lifestyle should also do some investigation as to how their body responds and work around that.
I would also suggest that people need to stop concentrating on weight loss and focus more on the body shape (in my opinion BMI scales are totally bogus, eg a Mr Universe contender is considered obese by the BMI scale). If you're flabby, diet and exercise will give you muscle tone, more energy and better posture, but muscle mass IS heavier than fat - so your weight probably won't improve, even though you'll look better and feel better.

I try and eat well whenever I can, I also try and exercise regularly. What I can say is I don't waste my time with scales. I focus on how I'm feeling and whether or not I'm having fun!

No comments: