To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Firefox vs Explorer

I'm not a technologist.
For example I have a 10 year old tv, an even older stereo system and few other mod cons (except a second hand PS2 upon which much Singstar, KillZone and Rogue Trooper is played)(and only those games because I've seen other people play them).

But when I come across something good, I like to share it with others. This morning my Microsoft Internet Explorer automatically began to download version 7 of itself. I find IE to be frustrating and limiting and slow, but the thing that pisses me off the most is the bloody updates that change files and registry entries BUT NEVER explain just what the fuck they doing.
So anyway, v.7 downloads and I begin again to submit to the hassle of installing it (its been available for a couple of weeks but I just did not want to load the fucker (most everytime I do, I lose my settings or the bastards arses around with the rest of the computer, chews up clock time and generally fats around eating chippies and watching old episodes of Red Dwarf while hogging the brown couch of valuble ROM)

I was not surprised when the Microsoft installation screen began asking me to update and change a whole bunch of my settings, in other words devote time and energy to critical decisions with little or no explanation of the choices not shown or the nature of the consequences.
I decided fuck that and did something I should have done a long time ago.

I downloaded and installed Mozilla's Firefox browser.
I will never go back.

Things work faster and run far more economically than the old fat and bloated application. I had 3 screens to click through for installation and my favourites folder was automatically imported.

If you have not yet tried Firefox, I strongly urge you to. It is the Pepsi Taste Test of the internet, you can decide for yourself.
But in my opinion Firefox is a welcome guest who is courteous and well mannered on your computer.

[Link]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, IE. If it was honest about why it updates, it would say:
1) We found a catastrophic bug in Windows, and we decided to 'try' fix it via a backdoor upgrade to IE.
2) We don't like you using the competition, so we decided to fuck them over, and you are going to help.
3) The code that shows us, here at friendy Microsoft, everything you do on the net seems to have stopped working, and we can't have that.
4) We own you, BITCH, so sit down, click 'Yes' and shut up.

Seraph said...

Hey ! That Firefox thingy IS pretty good !

Ha - screw IE ! I'm never going back !