To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Burning Daylight

I have 1 full day of work left before the entire city of Canberra shuts down for 2 weeks over Christmas. Its a beautiful thing, unique amongst the towering and glittery metropolies of Australia.
Unusually I've been working right up to the wire. Typically December is a slow down with the last week being a blur of Xmas parties, work BBQ's and random drink driving tests.
Not this year, this year has finished busy. So I have to say I'm glad that I have time to jot down a few notes. I haven't even had time to go shopping for presents, I've got an office Secret Santa, a nieces first birthday, Jesus's birthday and my Dad's to sort out.
My apartment is decoration free, mostly because I haven't been home and partly because all the decorations are at my ex-Wife's place (but at least they'll get used, so thats a good thing). I haven't sent out any Christmas cards because I find it a pain in the arse and I've only received one. People are getting the message.

And yet I'm waiting on that last minute phonecall from Sydney, insisting that we force through an action with a customer on issue X... Perhaps if I play dead.

Well I only have a few more days left before presents are due and as usual it looks like descending into a last minute scrabble. I both like and detest Christmas shopping. I like buying presents for people I genuinely do. But Christmas has this pressure cooker feel to it that shits me and nobody wants an IOU.
Like anything creative shopping for that perfect present requires a state of mind or grace that cannot be forced. Its an ascension of the spirit and budget that should reflect harmony and happiness.

I'm not quite there yet.

No comments: