To Know Me Is To Love Me...

My photo
Suave raconteur and dinner party favourite. Once held the Olympic torch, has delivered newspapers to prime ministers, shaken hands with Prince Charles, wrecked Jason Donovan's skateboard, climbed 300 metre granite cliff faces, surfed with dolphins, appears on community radio and is in demand for these and the accounts of other thrilling exploits!

Saturday, April 08, 2006

People and good art

I took the train to Washington DC yesterday.
Which I could tell was a lot eaiser than driving. Don't get me wrong, I can drive quite happily in both styles, but the roads around here are mostly beltways with a scary habit of keeping you always an equal distance from where you want to go.

So Washington by train. The hotel dropped me off and all was well at BWI Light Rail. The rain that had been holding off gave up and started in ernest. Lending a pleasant, get into a gallery or meseum asap air to the day.
Union Station was without a doubt a train station, I could tell that at once. The funny thing about arriving in a new city, even one as familiar to the eye as Washington, is without a map - you have no idea where to go. It turns out that from Union Station a five minute walk will take you to the Capitol Building and from there to all the more famous sites.

The Capitol Building is as impressive as it seems. I made my way down to the Grant memorial and from there looking back up the hill, could see where the presidents are inuagirated. Quite a sight. After consulting my map I chose the right hand side and dropped in on the National Gallery of Modern Art. To my surprise there was a DADA exhabition in progress. Complete with a Dada orchestra giving lunch time performances. I know little of Dada, but can report the following;
1) Dada was a generation movement
2) Mostly by people who were disgusted by the power structure that killed so many millions of young men in World War 1
3) They were really angry

For example the Dada orchestra was non-sensicle, 16 pianos, 4 drums, fire alams, alarm clocks and no structure or melody. Which struck me as a great way to piss people off. To just really get under the skin of the audience. Especially if that audience is being ernest and trying to find the deeper meaning to this cacophany. I lasted about 8 minutes.
Radio Dada is not on the air.

2 comments:

Seraph said...

Yeah - I never really got the whole Dada thing ... I think your explaination of "It is meant to piss people off" is probably about the most succient and easily understandable version I've come accross. I can GET that.
Mind you - the only works of Dada I really remember is one of a weiner dog with blurry legs, and one of a pipe with writing underneath it saying ( in French I think ) "This is not a pipe".
Freaking weirdos ...

BubbaJay said...

Oh yeah they are weridos allright.
I had to note though that they were werido's who didn't have regular jobs though. How the hell they paid the rent with this stuff is a mystery to me.
Unless they all came from priviledged families, just like Bertie Wooster...